Saturday, June 25, 2011

First Summer Read - Charlotte's Web!


I'm reading this to my kids!! It's the first time we've read a book that isn't a short story. My neighbor offered me up a box of books to pick through a month or so ago and when I saw this book I had to have it!

In Grade 5, I had an english teacher named Mrs. Good, she would read to us for 1 period a week. She read us many books but the 2 that stand out are Charlotte's Web and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. When I think back to my Elementary School years the memory of being read to by Mrs. Good really stands out. I LOVED it when Mrs. Good would read to us. She had an wonderful English accent and read so well. I remember being so taken in when she read and looking forward to it all week. That period always went by too fast. I am very thankful Mrs Good reading to us and someday I will let her know (I am still friends with her Son).

So last night we started reading Charlotte's Web. I'm sure my reading is not near as captivating as Mrs. Good's reading but the kids seemed to enjoy it. We are reading a couple chapters a night and I am loving it.  Cutie only lasted for one chapter and I put her to bed but the boys and I read 2 more chapters (they are short chapters). I discovered this morning when I tried to read to them that this will only be a bedtime activity. They were much to distracted and restless to sit and listen to the story but I think at bedtime this will be perfect to get them calmed down and relaxed before bed.

I'm looking forward to tonight's read and reading with my kids this summer. I hope they enjoy being read to as much as I did. I hope it nurtures a love for books and reading that will stay with them through their lives.

4 comments:

  1. CHRISTINA!!!

    we are so kindred spirits.
    one of the things on our summer fun list is to read a family book together and i was totally planning on charlotte's web!

    ahh. i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s my grade 5 teacher read "bridge to terabithia" it is my all time favorite book because of her ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous!

    i was totally thinking i should do a read together with my kids for the summer. this is just the kick in the pants i need!

    can i give you a couple of fun suggestions for when you finish the book??

    have a charlotte's web movie night.
    pre-movie have your kids make charlotte's web movie posters to put up.
    serve pigs-in-a-blanket, and other movie related dishes.

    get a poster-board and have your kids create a charlotte's web board game. you can use chutes & ladders or another board game as a guide. i could totally see ladders where wilbur makes it to the fair and wins 1st place, then slides down the shot back to the barn yard.

    enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Thank you for the awesome ideas Denise!! I will be doing all of the above for sure! One of my shortcomings as a mom is activities. We hang out and go places but I don't do near enough crafts, educational things, etc. Thanks for the ideas and encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete